20-Feb-2017

THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF IRISH MEDIEVAL STUDIES
AN CUMANN MEIRICEÁNACH UM LÉANN NA MEÁNAOISE ÉIREANNAÍ

Home


__________________________________________________________
Meeting on Monday 20th February, 2017 10am ET
Location: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gqrzknfngfns5uitp6iqlsx3vea

Minutes
Meeting Began: 10:01am
Present: Brian, Lee, Bridgette, Kat, Vicky, Deanna, Jimmy, James, Shannon
1. Finances (includes Jstor and payments).
Jimmy reported that we’ve paid for all of the Eolas 9 for printing and second shipping. We are left with $2953, but we still have to pay for the ’16 reception. This will cost between $400-500. Brian will send the invoice soon. Jimmy reminded us that we also still haven’t heard from Aidan, which will reduce our balance a little more. Jimmy salon reported that he sent Jstor his bank information and Brian reminded Jimmy to follow up with Jstor and CC Brian.
2. Notes on Kalamazoo 2017
James reported that the sessions are fine, but there is an issue with Notre Dame regarding the reception. There has been a smaller Notre Dame contingent in the last few years. Amy Mulligan is on sabbatical and won’t be there. Notre Dame needs get credit, but they may not be involved. Sarah McGiven, Amy’s current replacement, was nervous to give money, but might feel better now. Brian will remind her that she has agreed to go half on the reception. We need to check out who from Notre Dame will be at Kalamazoo and sidle up to them. Kat will put in a note to Eolas for credit. In the long run, we need to think about alternative partners.
a. Session 1: Pedagogical Approaches to Med Irish Studies
Things for the pedagogical studies are on schedule. James may need to pull out due to money. He will let us know by the end of this month. Brian suggested maybe trying to help by having him as a visiting speaker.
b. Session 2: The Life Course in Medieval Ireland
All set.
c. Session 3: Farrell Lecture
Brian has received confirmation from Patrick Wadden and Elva Johnston. Jimmy is going to be our responder.
d. Friday night dinner.
Jenny Immick sent information confirming that the dinner is booked. Jenny has taken a full time job outside of academia (rounds of congratulations Jenny!) and will step down from being the North American representative. Brian asked that we keep the position in mind if interested.
e. Outreach – lots of Irish/Celtic scholars at Kzoo this year
Brian encouraged everyone, especially session organizers, to drop emails to people giving Celtic related talks.
3. Eolas and Book Reviews.
Kat reported that Eolas is doing very well. She currently has three fully reviewed papers. Last year’s Barry’s prize winner has passed peer review. Kat has also heard from Aidan O’Sullivan, but is waiting to hear about book reviews, which should come within the next week. Kathy Swift will step down from being book review editor after this year. Shannon Ambrose agreed to step in to the position as an interim. The position will open at our next elections. Kat encouraged everyone to work on outreach for Eolas. She will make up a flyer and that we can distribute at Kalamazoo. Officers be sure to these print out and distribute.
4. ASIMS Conference at Glenstal in October 2017. Status report?
There was discussion on promoting the Glenstal conference. Dianna and Shannon on Glenstall committee and at the moment Brian, Kat, Jimmy, Bridgette, James, Brian, and Lee are planning to participate (if funding allows for some). There were about 20-30 people at the last Glenstal conference. James has posted to the Irish Archaeology list. We need to lean heavily on as many Irish and American friends as possible. Kat reported that Tom Heron has suggested a reception in Dublin either the day before or after to promote Eolas. James mentioned that Glenstal has a connection with St Patrick’s cathedral. He will contact them and see if we can have the reception there. James just appointed to the RSAI council, so he will also ask the officers for support.
5. Adams and Barry Prizes
Lee reported that we are not where we were last year with only two submissions for the Adam’s prize and one for Barry’s prize. Kat said that she will be sending five. Brian encouraged everyone to lean into grad students who are working on Irish and Celtic Studies.
6. EBSCO and the agreement. This is going ahead (digitization is proceeding).
We have completed digitization. Kat mentioned that Máire scanned Eolas 6, 7, 8, and 9. Kat will send them on to Ebsco. There was a discussion about how much to charge for the digital copies. Jimmy stated that we need to charge the same amount as EBSCO, however he is not sure how much that is. Brian told Jimmy to mark that section of the contract so he can have a closer look.. On Brian suggested that we let Ebsco know we prefer direct deposit as well.
7. Changing the by-laws.
We are sill sitting on this issue. The software is ready but we do not have an up-to-date membership list. Jimmy will send the most up-to-date list to Brian. Deanna suggested that we use the web-site to vote on the by-laws. She will work on this with Jimmy and Brian.
8. Election of next round of ASIMS officers, thinking particularly of Vice President.
Brian reminded everyone that his and Lee’s positions are ending this year. Normally elections held by Vice President, but Brian suggested that perhaps we could use the website. Lee and Deanna will work on this. Last time Brian used google for the election. It is precedent for the new positions to start in September.
9. Kalamazoo 2018. Time to start thinking of sessions and offerings, particularly who to approach for the Farrell Lecture.
After a brief discussion about the Farrell lecture for 2018, there was a consensus that we should probably choose someone from North America as we have had two Irish speakers in a row.
10. Note: Google Hangouts is being retired (possibly) – suggestions for an alternative, please.
Brian reminded everyone that Google Hangouts is possibly being retired, so we need to think about alternative meeting spaces. Shannon suggested GoToMeetings, but they only allow three people per meeting. We need to continue to look into this issue.
11. Any other business.
Brian mentioned that the next meeting will be in April. He also brought up the point that Glenstal may need a deposit. He will get in touch with them and officially book everything.
James may need assistance in getting to America for Kalamazoo and asked if anyone had ideas for giving a talk stateside to help fund him. He would need about $600-700, which equals about two speeches at two universities. Brian asked James to come up with a variety of general topics that he could talk about.
Shannon will be at Hill monastic library in April, so she may be out of touch for a while. She and Kat will set up a schedule to edit Eolas.

Meeting ended: 11:04am

Minutes 2016-Sep-29

THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF IRISH MEDIEVAL STUDIES
AN CUMANN MEIRICEÁNACH UM LÉANN NA MEÁNAOISE ÉIREANNAÍ

Home


__________________________________________________________
Meeting on September 29th 2016, 4pm ET
Location: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gqrzknfngfns5uitp6iqlsx3vea

DRAFT AGENDA

Meeting called to order 3:05p Central/4:05p Eastern. Present = Brian, Deanna, Máire, Jenny, Jimmy, Kat,Lahney, Lee, Vicky. Notes taken by Máire.

Jimmy Schryver financial report.

Discussion of fees concerning Kalamazoo debt owed to Notre Dame and the printing costs for Eolas. Printing costs = delayed due to VP debate at Longwood, but expected to be roughly same as Volume 7. Many memberships incoming this fall bolster ASIMS income. Appears ASIMS have yet to pay Barry Prize winner or K’zoo Farrell Speaker. Jimmy estimates payment of these debts will reduce current accounts down to several hundred, but JSTOR is meant to pay fees to ASIMS that will bring up balances. Jimmy reminds/requests that those who are owed should get in touch with him; asks for assistance reaching out to Aidan re: Farrell. Jimmy = optimistic that JSTOR will make payments soon.

Notes on Kalamazoo

a. Session 1: Farrell Lecture
Brian reporting on conversation with relevant folks. Elva Johnston agreed and set to speak as Farrell Lecture; Patrick Wadden says he doesn’t usually go to K’zoo but will make exception to be respondent. Needs to be giving paper to receive institutional support so Brian suggests Patrick give 2nd paper on Farrell panel—Vicky/Jenny suggest that Patrick instead give paper on their panel (Brian says any open ASIMS panel if relevant to him). Brian suggests having respondent may not be most important element, but should be ideally someone in ASIMS. Deadline for settling all of this = Saturday, October 1st, but get another 2 weeks after that to sort out issues like second speakers and respondents.
b. Session 2: The Life Course in Medieval Ireland
Brian thinks this session is a go but no one seemed to know if all papers are filled.
c. Session 3: Round Table on Pedagogy
Roundtable is good to go but participants need to send organizer (James) a PIF for K’zoo ASAP.
d. Business Meeting
e. Reception, now that Notre Dame can’t co-host. $770 was 2016 cost.
Discussion of reception now that Notre Dame have decided to back out of co-hosting due to lack of faculty rep on site because Amy = on sabbatical. Need to have reception = agreed upon by ASIMS board due to ability to publicize ASIMS, solicit submissions for Eolas, but difficulty is finding co-host as ASIMS cannot pay full value of reception ourselves. Kat argues there are Notre Dame faculty who often do attend, and who can be asked if they’re going to be at K’zoo, and therefore might serve on ground at K’zoo. Lahney, Máire suggest approaching other organizations or institutions…e.g. medieval studies at Catholic University (Kat has contact), Harvard Celtic (can ask Tasha Sumner). Possibly CSANA though their budget is not much bigger than our own. Jimmy points out deadline for reserving reception space at K’zoo is October 1st; Brian notes can reserve now in hopes of sponsors and then cancel later if needed.
Normal scheduling = just before banquet on Friday, though possibility exists to move it if needed. Jenny = making reservation in next week for banquet; will be sending out poll to find out what folks like, don’t like but probably will again go with Zazio’s due to privacy of space.
ADDITIONAL ON K’ZOO: Deanna needs third speaker/paper/respondent for her panel; CFPs to be reissued this week. Brian will issue CFPs to entire ASIMS mailing list. Possibility Patrick might be able to fit in there but will need to check with him. Brian says will email Patrick.

Eolas and Book Reviews.

Kat has sent out list and reports for Cathy that there should be 4 or 5 book reviews. Also reports 2 articles are in review stage, and hopes to have at least one more from someone who has contacted her re: stylesheets and preparation. Deadline = 10/15. Barry Prize winner has said will submit Barry paper as full article, but has not heard from Aidan about Farrell lecture. If all comes in and are solid then next volume should be okay (though more articles would be nice). Máire will remind colleague Shane Lordan re: submitting by deadline also.

ASIMS Conference at Glenstal in October 2017. Colmán proceeding on this

Brian reports it is likely that we are good for ASIMS conference at Glenstall in 2017. Weekend has been booked, September 29th to October 1st. Shannon Ambrose has drafted CFP and sent it to Brian; closing date for paper proposals = March 1st, 2017. No theme as of yet; perhaps one needed? Most didn’t think theme used in past; want to keep options wide for all potential submitters in and out of Ireland…as currently in CFP (“any aspect of medieval Irish studies”).

JSTOR and payments.

“Finally managed to find someone at JSTOR who will take care of this, so it’s happening” (Brian)

EBSCO and the agreement.

Kat = happy with agreement, doesn’t “look funky”, should not conflict with EBSCO. Signing of agreement would get Eolas listed in the many EBSCO-hosted databases…and widen our base outside just the “Irish collection” in JSTOR considerably. ASIMS also would get 20% of revenue. Board agrees Brian should sign.

Changing the by-laws.

Brian set up functioning election site in June but needs to pursue regarding changing of by-laws.

Máire Johnson: “I’d like to add to the agenda the possibility of ASIMS adding our name to the letter (I posted it on our Facebook page some weeks ago asking what folks thought) decrying the arrest and incarceration of academics in Turkey.”

Máire will contact necessary email contact to get ASIMS included on letter. Lee had to depart meeting at 3:45/4:45.

Any other business.

Máire reported on recruiting for ASIMS and Eolas at Mid-America Medieval Association meeting in Emporia, 9/17/2016 and at CSANA in Nova Scotia.
Consensus held that next meeting should be in January.
Meeting adjourned (Kat moved, Vicky and Máire seconded) at 3:55p Central/4:55p Eastern

CFP ASIMS Conference

Call for Papers: The American Society of Irish Medieval Studies Irish Conference

Glenstal Abbey, Co. Limerick,
September 22nd-24th, 2017

The Ireland Conference of the American Society of Irish Medieval Studies is the second meeting of the Society in Ireland, and it hopes to advance leading scholarship on the period between c. 500-1650 AD from medievalists working in Ireland and the United States. The organizers welcome proposals for the 2017 congress on papers addressing any aspect of medieval Irish studies. Possible topics of exploration might include settlement and landscape studies, monastic practice and foundation, hagiography, gender theory, ecocritical approaches, material culture, law, Hiberno-Latin textual culture, or medieval Anglo-Irish texts.

Interested participants should submit abstracts of no more than 250 words to Dr. Brian Ó Broin, President of ASIMS, at ObroinB@wpunj.edu by March 1st, 2017. Those who submit proposals will be notified of their acceptance by March 31st, 2017.

ASIMS is a multi-disciplinary society promoting trans-Atlantic collaboration in research on medieval Ireland. The Society sponsors regular panels for current Irish research at the annual International Congress of Medieval Studies (ICMS) at Kalamazoo, MI, and is represented at regional conferences in the USA, such as the South-Eastern Medievalists Association (SEMA). In addition, ASIMS publishes Eolas, a peer reviewed journal advancing the interdisciplinary and international study of Irish medieval studies. Eolas is cataloged by EBSCO and available in digital format at JSTOR.

Please feel free to download and distribute the conference poster.

ASIMS US Fulbright Specialists to IT Sligo

At IT Sligo Applied Archaeology we are considering applying for a Fulbright Specialist to come from the US to help us with developing the international archaeological Field School that we plan to operate from this summer onwards. If you are an archaeologist and fancy a few weeks in Ireland in the next year and are interested in helping us with this then please get in touch with Fiona Beglane. Also feel free to pass this on to colleagues if it doesn’t suit you. The fieldschool involves excavation of a later medieval castle at Moygara in Co. Sligo. We are looking for help in targeting our marketing, making contacts, understanding what makes US students pick one school over another, understanding the fine detail of your academic credits system and anything else that might be of concern to potential applicants.

CFP for Kalamazoo 2017

We are looking for more contributors to two of our sessions sponsored by ASIMS for the International Medieval Congress in Kalamazoo 2017. Prospective presenters can contact Dr James Lyttleton at jilyttleton@hotmail.com

‘The Life Course in Medieval Ireland’

Life is marked by various stages: birth, childhood, the coming of age, marriage, the raising of a family, old age and death. Although correlated with the biological processes of aging, each stage is also characterised by different kinds of knowledge, social roles, and symbolic meanings. The ways in which medieval society marked transitions between stages such as childhood with social rituals has recently become a topic of great interest to scholars, and this session shows how this cultural narrative of aging helped shape the everyday experience in medieval Ireland. Scholars in this session draw upon literary sources and material remains to provide insights and commentary on aspects of the life course in early and late medieval Ireland. This session will include contributions from the fields of history, literary studies, art history and archaeology, and will be chaired by Dr James Schryver (University of Miinesota, Morris).

Roundtable session ‘Pedagogical Approaches to Medieval Irish Studies’

As medieval studies and Irish studies become more popular at the university level, scholars teaching these courses draw on increasingly varied perspectives. We bring ideas into our classes inspired by archaeology, architecture, art history, literary studies and history, among many others. Courses can involve workshops, field trips, project based learning, and various ‘hands-on’ activities and assignments. These types of work build the students’ knowledge base, increase their understanding of the Middle Ages, and deliver a more enhanced learning experience. Digital humanities, building on the strengths of traditional scholarship, has also contributed to new ways of delivering course content. This roundtable session seeks to share various perspectives on teaching these subjects, including the incorporation of new pedagogical approaches in the classroom. This will be chaired by Dr James Lyttleton.


ASIMS is also co-sponsoring a session with The Heroic Age:

Echoes of Columbanus

Contact: Deanna Forsman North Hennepin Community College 7411 85th Ave. North Brooklyn Park, MN 55445 Phone: 763-488-0405 dforsman@nhcc.edu

The Irish ascetic Columbanus is the most famous example of the classic peregrinus: an individual who chooses a life of exile among foreigners as a form of religious devotion. Columbanus is also famous for his monastic establishments and Rule, as well as his interactions with royalty and the bishop of Rome. This session seeks to further explore the long-term influence of Columbanus in multiple venues. Papers will examine the influence of the Columbanian Rule on ascetic practice, the relationship between monastery and royalty, sources of spiritual authority, the practice of peregrinatio, etc.

Kalamazoo 2016

You’ll see a link to Irish and Celtic offerings at Kalamazoo this year on our Facebook page.

Do note, however, that we have several other business and social events going on:

1) The committee will be meeting in the cafeteria on Friday morning at 830 just to straighten issues and points before the business meeting at 12pm(midday).
2) There will be our ASIMS business meeting in Fetzer 2020: Friday 12pm.
3) ASIMS/Notre Dame Medieval Ireland Reception; Friday 515 – Fetzer 1035.
4) ASIMS dinner on Friday night.

See you all in Kalamazoo!
Brian

Indefinable Boundaries

Call for Papers

MLA in Philadelphia, January 2017

Indefinable Boundaries: Session Co-Sponsored by Old English and Celtic Studies

The conference theme for 2017 encourages us to define boundaries. We should like to explore those phenomena within which, or between which, boundaries are indefinable. For instance, dialects are clearest at their geographical and cultural centers, but dissipate as they meld into neighboring dialects. Genres become indistinct as they approach each other, as do fictional and non-fictional narratives. Transitional periods, genders, genres, influences, literacies, and more—all exhibit boundary-defying characteristics. In that spirit, we invite papers that explore the permeability of boundaries and the ways in which borders resist definition.

Submit 300-word abstracts to etreharne@mac.com by March 15th, please.

The Material World of the Early Middle Ages

Call for Papers

Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon
October 7–9, 2016

Keynote Speakers:SEMA-2016-Call for Papers
Paul Edward Dutton (Simon Fraser University)
Robin Fleming (Boston College)
Thomas F. X. Noble (University of Notre Dame, Emeritus)

Scholars have long relied upon material evidence in order to understand the early Middle Ages. With the “material turn” of recent years in Medieval Studies, we invite early medievalists of all disciplines and specialization to a conference meant to examine, question, and build upon recent work on materiality. We seek to explore the whole world of the early Middle Ages by including papers that discuss the ways in which early medieval people experienced, altered, and were transformed by the material. By “material,” we include objects, artworks, buildings, texts, and other tangible items that survived as well as the “materials” discussed in texts or found in the natural world that we know existed but have been lost to time, decay, and change. We welcome a range of papers that will investigate this “world” expansively from a variety of vantage points such as the natural world, the materiality of the human body, the built environment, society, religion, and the imagination.

Please send an abstract of 250 words and a CV to Valerie Garver (vgarver@niu.edu) or Lynda Coon (llcoon@uark.edu) via email attachment. On your abstract please provide name, institution, and the title of your proposal.

Abstracts are due June 1, 2016.

Publication of Medieval Dublin XV

Medieval Dublin XV
Seán Duffy, editor

Medieval Dublin XV

This volume contains reports on a number of important archaeological excavations in the Dublin area in recent years, including: Claire Walsh’s discovery of the remains of Hiberno-Norse and Anglo-Norman houses at Back Lane; Paul Duffy’s excavations at Baldoyle that produced evidence from the Viking Age onwards; and Edmond O’Donovan’s discovery of a large early Christian cemetery at Mount Gamble in Swords. To accompany his detailed report on the latter the volume includes an important study of the ecclesiastical and political history of the Swords area written by the late Ailbhe MacShamhráin. Also of note: Craig Lyons analyses the emergence of Dublin in the late tenth and early eleventh century as a more distinctively Irish sub-kingdom; Catherine Swift sheds new light on the famous account of Brian Boru and the battle of Clontarf called Cogadh Gaedhel re Gallaibh; Daniel Brown has a fascinating account of what happened in 1223 when Hugh de Lacy, the dispossessed earl of Ulster, raised a rebel army and marched on Dublin; Bernard Meehan describes the recent acquisition by the Trinity College Library of a hitherto unknown manuscript compiled in St Mary’s Abbey in the city in the early fourteenth century; Brian Coleman presents the first fruits of his meticulous study of the elite of Dublin city and county in the later Middle Ages; Dianne Hall examines everyday violence in the medieval city and environs; and, to mark the 700th anniversary of the Scottish invasion of Ireland by Edward Bruce in 1315, we include a hitherto-unpublished essay by the late Professor James Lydon on the Scottish threat to capture Dublin.

Contributors: Daniel J.F. Brown (QUB), Brian Coleman (TCD), Paul Duffy (Grassroots Archaeology), Dianne Hall (Victoria U, Melbourne), James Lydon† (TCD), Craig Lyons (TCD), Ailbhe MacShamhráin† (ind.), Bernard Meehan (TCD), Edmond O’Donovan (archaeologist), Catherine Swift (MIC, U Limerick), Claire Walsh (Archaeological Projects Ltd).

Seán Duffy is professor of medieval history, Trinity College Dublin, and chairman of the Friends of Medieval Dublin.

AVAILABLE 4 March 2016. 320pp; illustrations.
Paperback. ISBN 978-1-84682-567-5  [Retail: €24.95/$39.95]   /   Hardback. ISBN 978-1-84682-566-8    [Retail: €50./$65]

For more information, including a full list of contents, see: http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/books/2016/medieval-dublin-xv/